A cover letter is needed to interest the employer in your candidacy. It is necessary to write it. And for each job separately. A unique and well-formed cover letter is the first step to working in the company of your dreams. It can be a decisive argument when choosing between two similar candidates.
How to write a cover letter for a resume: 5 basic rules
1. Remember that the cover letter is the announcement of your resume, not a retelling. In the summary you will elaborate on your past and present. In a cover letter, focus on the future.
2. Write a cover letter for a specific company and job. Companies need to understand why you want to work for them and what you can offer them.
3. Do not use template phrases just because they are beautiful and long. In short, word parasites and abstract epithets will not help you to interest the recruiter. Official and impersonal letters are annoying, since they do not give an answer to the main question – why exactly you will be good at this post. In addition, recruiters and HRs are so tired of them that they can postpone your resume or even not see it at all.
4. Follow the logic and monitor the structure of the text. It should be easy to read.
5. Be sure to check for errors. Illiterately written cover letter reduces your chances of getting an offer.
How to write a cover letter for a resume?
1. Who do you contact?
Try to find the name of the person and apply personally. But if this is not possible, write simply: “Dear employees of the HR department of such a company” or something like that.
2. What do you want?
Immediately indicate which position you are applying for. This will make life easier for the recruiter – he may have a lot of vacancies. It is also good to refer to the source from which you learned that the vacancy is open.
3. Why do you apply for a CV to this company and to this position?
Tell us why you are interested in this area or niche. And most importantly – why do you want to work in this company? To answer this question without water, look for a company profile, information about it on the website or in social networks.